Connecting with other members
SME Connect allows you to build your personal contacts in manufacturing by connecting you with other members. To search for and connect with others, visit the Member Directory
- Select the Member Directory from the Engage dropdown menu.
- Add a first and/or last name, employer name or utilize the filters to narrow your search by job function or industry/technology/fields and hit the enter or return key on your keyboard (or select “done” on a mobile device).
- A list of profiles containing your search term/s is displayed.
- Select the community member you are looking for to view their full profile page.
- To connect to that individual, select “Add Connection.”
- If a community member accepts your connection request, they will be added to your list of connections that appear on your dashboard page.
- You can also introduce yourself in the "Post to this Member's Wall" area of their member profile.
MANAGING CONNECTION REQUESTS
When you receive a contact request from a member, a notification will appear at the top of the browser window (i.e., the bell icon). You will also receive an email at your primary email address to let you know that someone wants to connect.
- Select the bell icon in your account links at the top of the screen to visit your connection requests.
- View the list of pending connection requests.
- Choose Accept, Decline or No action.
- Click on “Save” to save to apply your selection.
If you choose “No action,” the request will sit as pending on your contacts page until you choose to accept or decline. The requestor will also see a “Friend request pending” message on the profile page when they visit.
REMOVING A CONTACT
To remove an existing contact from your contacts list:
- Select the bell icon in your account links at the top of the screen.
- Find the name of the contact you wish to remove and click on “Remove contact.”
- Alternatively, visit their profile page and select “Remove connections.”
Note: Your contact will not be notified that they have been removed from your contacts.
Questions? Please post in the Ask SME Forum or contact the SME Connect Community Manager at